Saturday, April 22, 2006

Good Gifts

As I was sitting here at the computer, thinking I had nothing to write about, my little brother came inside with a silly grin on his face. He held out some weeds he had picked in a bouquet and gave them to me. Grant it, he was outside trying to mow the lawn, and the mower wouldn't start, but still the silly, sweet action was a shock.

Little acts of kindness have been peeping out of my brother lately. The other week, he asked me how much a load of laundry costs at school. He then went up to his room and took from his coin collection enough quarters to last me through the end of the school year. He even offered to give me more if I run out.

These sweet events - acts of considering others without expecting anything in return - are the most valuable to the reciever. No one promped the giver, it wasn't expected or required. The gifts were of a pure heart of affection. Now if my brother were to read this, he would roll his eyes and say, "oh brother!" But honestly, how much more does God appreciate our gifts of service when they come from a heart of love and adoration for Him. The more we get to know Him, the more we love Him for all that He has done, all that He is, and all that He will do. The more we recognize how undeserving we are, the more we praise Him because " every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." (James 1:17)

2 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Dave Marriott said...

One time I bought my sister this cd of ice bergs shifting and water melting...she told me it sounded like toilets flushing...i was crushed, it was on sale and fit in my christmas budget.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger jules said...

hahaa! dave...
awe, hannah, i think i know what u mean. some people just don't realize how little things can bless u :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home